Sirun Guan’s paintings can best be categorized as modern realism with impressionism influence. They are combined with bold brush strokes and realistic depiction with layers of washes ”Art has forever changed my view of this world; it lets me appreciate every moment of life and this wonderful world we are living in. Through my art, I strive to create a peaceful harbor for the soul and the mind to relax, to meditate, and to enjoy.”
Sirun Guan was born in Shanghai, China, and now lives in Houston, Texas. Art has always been the biggest part of her life since she was a little girl. Mostly self-taught, she started sketching, and painting using Chinese brush and Acrylic medium as young as age 8. She also continued art education throughout her junior high and high school. Her artworks won prizes for multiple student competitions. During college, she received formal fine arts training as part of her architecture program. Her art mentors included famous Chinese painters/professors Mr. Zhan Hongchang and Ms. Cheng Xi. Sirun also had quite a few opportunities to travel around China. She was seen painting on the foothills of Yellow Mountain, one of the most famous National Parks in China; Zhou Village, on of the best preserved historical towns in China, Yunnan province and others. Her artworks were selected in multiple art exhibitions by the university gallery. After graduating from Tongji University, one fo the most prestigious universities in China, her determination to pursue didn’t stop there.
In 1997, she came to the United States to continue exploring the world of art while working as an urban designer. She has taken workshops from well-known American watercolorists, including Catherine Anderson, AWS, NWS, and Cheng Khee Chee, Dolphin Fellow of AWS, etc. She also traveled around U.S., China, and parts of Europe whenever she gets the chance to. All these experiences have continued to provide inspirations for Sirun’s creation in her paintings.
Her paintings have been selected in multiple juried art shows, including American Watercolor Society, International Exhibition (AWS), Watercolor Art Society of Houston (WASH, three times) International Art Competition, Rocky Mountain National Juried Watermedia Exhibition (RMNW, rwice), Western Federation of Watercolor Socities 29th Exhibition (WFS), and National Society of Artists Juried Exhibition (NSA). Sirun Guan’s artworks are currently represented by International Décor Gallery in Houston, Tx. Her original paintings are found in the private collections of Pat Corrigan, Julio Parker, Anna Marie Finch, Sue Darcy, Marilynn Oliver, Wendy & Erik O’Brian, and others.
* 2007 – Watercolor Art Society of Houston 2007 International Art Competition, Houston, Tx
* 2006 – Watercolor Art Society of Houston 2006 International Art Competition, Houston, Tx
* 2006 – Baquero Gallery, One – Woman Exhibition, Houston, Tx
* 2006 – International Décor Gallery Group Exhibition, Houston, Tx
* 2006 – American Watercolor Society 139th International Exhibition, New York City
* 2005 – Baquero Gallery Group Exhibition, Houston, Tx
* 2005 – 32nd Rocky Mountain National Juried Watermedia Exhibition, Golden, CO
* 2005 – Watercolor Art Society of Houston 2005 International Art Competition, Houston, Tx
* 2004 – Bayou City Arts Festival
* 2004 – National Society of Artists Juried Exhibition, Alvin, Tx
* 2004 – 31st Rocky Mountain National Juried Watermedia Exhibition, Golden, CO
* 2003 – Western Federation of Watercolor Societies Juried 29th Exhibition, Irving, Tx
* 2003 – Watercolor Art Society of Houston Juried Membership Show, Houston, Tx
* 2002 – Watercolor Art Society of Houston Juried Membership Show, Houston, Tx
* 1997 – Student Artwork Group Exhibition, Tongji University School of Architecture Gallery, Shanghai, China
* 1997 – Student Art Competition Second Prize Winner, Tongji University School of Architecture Gallery, Shanghai, China